Looking for the latest on the status of Superior National Forest (SNF) campgrounds? The best place for current information is: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/superior/recreation (click links for “Read the full campground press release” and “Read the full campground closure order”).
In short, the good news is that most SNF campgrounds and recreation sites are currently open, and a few more campgrounds are likely to open soon. However, some are planned to be closed all season (Pfeiffer, McDougal, Echo, Jeanette, Little Isabella, Nine Mile, and Divide). Information and updates for each individual campground can be found here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/superior/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=36905&actid=29
Band members may be subject to fees, depending on their camping plans!
*All Grand Portage and Bois Forte members can camp at SNF campgrounds exempt of camping fees. Campsites are first come, first served.
**If you want a little more time to plan ahead, band members can call to reserve campsites and pay a reservation fee ($8), but do not need to pay camping fee.
***If enrollees try to use the online reservation system to hold a campsite, there will be a reservation AND camping fee charge. (The Forest Service has been working to change this – stay tuned for updates on this issue!)
RESERVING BY PHONE:
- Tribal Members call in to Recreation.gov: 1-877-444-6777
- Identify themselves as a tribal member requesting to reserve a campsite with the Tribal Fee Waiver.
- The customer service representative will ask “Are you an enrolled member of a federally recognized Tribe?”, and confirm that the campground where they wish to make a reservation is listed as participating.
- Upon arrival to the campsite, the tribal member must present their tribal ID card as verification to receive the campsite fee waiver.
- If a tribal member wishes to reserve group site or day use area, they are to contact the Forest to make those arrangements.
RESERVING ONLINE: At this time, if reserving a SNF campsite using the online system both reservation AND camping fees will be charged. Users will be routed to Recreation.gov to secure a reservation, after selecting the specific campground of interest here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/superior/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=36905&actid=29